State:Jammu and Kashmir
Location: North India
Altitude: 1,585 m
Language: Kashmiri, Urdu
Known for: Hill Station
Nearby Cities: Baramulla, Anantnag etc.
Located in the western part of the state, Srinagar is the summer capital of Jammu & Kashmir. Kashmir is not only the important city of Jammu & Kashmir but a fascinating tourists' spot for whole India. In addition, Srinagar is the place of some of the most spectacular and fascinating sites of north India.
Geographically, situated on the bank of the River Jhelum in the Kashmir Valley, the Srinagar is known for its lakes, boathouses, gardens, and of course local market of handicrafts. So, the city is political, economic, and cultural centre of the state Jammu and Kashmir.
Because of having fantastic geographical location fascinating landscape with rich tradition and culture, Srinagar is one of the most favoured sites for the tourism. It is interesting to share that people love to call it "Venice of the East."
The Important tourists' attractions in Srinagar are:
• Mughal Garden: Mughal Garden is one of the must visit sites in Kashmir; you can see here varieties of flowers and other plants. It was founded by the Mughal Emperor hence it is known as Mughal Garden. In addition, the garden is also some other attractions such as Chashma Shahi – it is a royal fountain; Pari Mahal – it is the palace of the fairies; Nishant Bagh – it is popular as garden of spring.
• Dal Lake: Thousands of people come here with the dream to boat in the Dal Lake. However, the lake remains almost frozen during the winter season but in summer it is pretty pleasurable to boat.
• Nagin Lake: It is small but beautiful Lake.
• Houseboats: Houseboats are the most fascinating part of Kashmir tourism; many people come here with purpose to enjoy in boating and spend sometimes in houseboat.
• Tulip Garden: Small but beautifully designed Tulip Garden is modern garden of Srinagar.
• Gulmarg Hill: Located at the distance of about 50 km from Kashmir, Gulmarg Hill is the wonderful location for tourism. The most important activity here is skiing. However, along with skiing resort, you can also enjoy here natural landscapes. • Sher Garhi Palace
• Gulab Bhavan
How to Reach??
By Road: The city is well connected with highways; National Highway passes through the city and connects it with other neighbouring cities. You can take buses from Jammu, Chandigarh, Shimla, Delhi etc for Kashmir.
By Rail: Because of its hilly location, the railway is not developed; however, in the year 2009, 119 km long Kashmir railway started that connects Baramulla to Srinagar, Anantnag and Qazigund.
By Air: Srinagar Airport has regular domestic flights that link with Jammu, Chandigarh, Delhi, and Leh. Interestingly, it has an also occasional international flight that connects Dubai.