Facts at a Glance
Status: Autonomous Region in People's Republic of China
Geographical Location: South Asia
Located in People's Republic of China, geographically, Tibet is a plateau region of Asia. Situated in north-east of the Himalayas it is the traditional homeland of the Tibetan people as well as some other ethnic groups. Interestingly, with an average elevation of 4,900 metres, Tibet is the highest region of the world.
Located in a wonderful landscape of Greater Himalayan on the Tibetan Plateau, Tibet is one of the most exciting places to visit. Here one can enjoy the fascinating landscapes and typical Buddhist shrines.
The important Cities/towns of Tibet
• Lhasa: It is the capital of Tibet
• Xigatse (Shigatse): It is the second largest city
• Qamdo (Chamdo)
Other Popular Destinations
• Potala Palace: It is the former residence of Dalai Lama
• Jokhang Temple: It is the most sacred Tibetan temple in Tibet
• Mount Kailash: It is the most popular and sacred mountain for Hindus as well as Buddhists
• Qomolangma National Nature Reserve: It is the Tibetan side of Mount Everest
• Namtso Lake: The most fascinating lake of Tibet
• Yamdrok Lake: A beautiful lake
• Ranwu Lake: It is popular glacier lake
• Yarlung Tsangpo Grand Canyon: It is the deepest canyon of the world
How to Reach??
To visit Tibet, primarily you are needed to get visa from China embassy located in your country. After reaching China, you can visit this place by air, rail, and road as well.